Definition of victim
from the Latin victima, sacrificial animal
victim (plural victims)
- (original sense) A living creature which is slain and offered as human or animal sacrifice, usually in a religious rite; by extension, the transfigurated body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist.
- Anyone who is physically harmed by another.
- An aggrieved or disadvantaged party in a crime (e.g. swindle.)
- A person who suffers any other injury, loss, or damage as a result of a voluntary undertaking.
- An unfortunate person who suffers from a disaster or other adverse circumstance.
- Narratology. A character who is conquered or manipulated by a villain.
Source: Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK