Legal Definition of adhere
(foll. by to)
- Behave according to (a rule, undertaking, etc.)
Definition of adhere
Latin adhaerere, adhaesum; ad + haerere ("to stick"): compare French adhérer
to adhere (third-person singular simple present adheres, present participle adhering, simple past and past participle adhered)
- (intransitive) To stick fast or cleave, as a glutinous substance does; to become joined or united; as, wax to the finger; the lungs sometimes adhere to the pleura.
- (intransitive) To hold, be attached, or devoted; to remain fixed, either by personal union or conformity of faith, principle, or opinion; as, men adhere to a party, a cause, a leader, a church.
- (intransitive) To be consistent or coherent; to be in accordance; to agree.
- Alphagram: adeehr
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK