Definition of penalty
penalty (plural penalties)
- A legal sentence.
The penalty for his crime was to do hard labor.
- A punishment for violating rules of procedure.
- (finance) A payment forfeited for an early withdrawal from an account or an investment.
- (soccer) A direct free-kick from the penalty spot, taken after a defensive foul in the penalty box.
- (ice hockey) A punishment for an infraction of the rules, often in the form of being removed from play for a specified amount of time.
A penalty was called when he tripped up his opponent.
- penalty arc
- penalty box
- penalty kick
- penalty area
- penalty phase
- penalty shot
- penalty shoot-out
- penalty spot
- Penalty, a sentence (decree of punishment) issued by a court or judge
- Penalty, sanctions imposed by a court or judge
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK