Definition of premier
From Middle French premier (as an adjective).
premier (not comparable)
- Foremost, very first or very highest in quality or degree.
premier (plural premiers)
- The head of a country's cabinet, see Prime Minister.
- (Australian, Canadian) The head of a state or provincial government.
- (nautical, slang) The first lieutenant or other second-in-command officer of a ship.
In British English, prime minister and premier are interchangeable while in Australia and Canada, the federal leader is the prime minister and the local leaders are premiers.
to premier (third-person singular simple present premiers, present participle premiering, simple past and past participle premiered)
- To perform, display or exhibit for the first time.
The composer invited all his friends when they premiered the movie he orchestrated, we got to see it before anyone but the crew.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK