Definition of refugee
From French réfugié, past participle of réfugier ("to take refuge"), describing early French protestants seeking refuge.
- IPA: /ˈɹɛfjudʒiː/, /ɹɛfjuˈdʒiː/
- Rhymes: -iː
refugee (plural refugees)
- A person seeking refuge in a foreign country out of fear of political persecution or the prospect of such persecution in his home country, i.e., a person seeking a political asylum.
- A person seeking refuge in a foreign country due to poverty and no prospect of overcoming said poverty in his home country, i.e., a person seeking an economic asylum.
- A person seeking refuge due to a natural disaster.
- A person formally granted a political or economic asylum by a country other than his home country.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.