Definition of surcharge
surcharge (plural surcharges)
- An addition of extra charge on the agreed or stated price.
Our airline tickets cost twenty dollars more than we expected because we had to pay a fuel surcharge.
- An excessive price charged e.g. from an unsuspecting customer.
- (philately) An overprint on a stamp that alters (usually raises) the original nominal value of the stamp; used especially in times of hyperinflation.
- (law) A charge that has been omitted from an account as payment of a credit to the charged party.
- (law) A penalty for failure to exercise common prudence and skill in the performance of a fiduciary's duties.
to surcharge (third-person singular simple present surcharges, present participle surcharging, simple past and past participle surcharged)
- To apply a surcharge.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK