Legal Definition of sustain
- Suffer (defeat or injury etc.)
- (of a court etc.) Uphold or decide in favour of (an objection etc.)
- Corroborate (a statement or charge)
Definition of sustain
From Old French sustenir (French: soutenir), from Latin sustineo < sub- + teneo.
sustain (third-person singular simple present sustains, present participle sustaining, simple past and past participle sustained)
- (transitive) To maintain (something), or keep it in existence.
- (transitive) To provide for or nourish (something).
- (transitive) To encourage (something).
- (transitive) To experience or suffer (an injury, etc.).
- (transitive) To confirm, prove, or corroborate (something).
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK