Legal Definition of act
- A bill which has passed through the various legislative steps required for it and which has become law
Example: An Act of the Commonwealth of Australia
Definition of act
From Latin ācta ("register of events"), plural of āctum ("decree, law"), from agō ("put in motion").
act (countable and uncountable; plural acts)
- (countable) Something done, a deed.
An act of good will.
- (obsolete, uncountable) A state of existence.
- (countable) A product of a legislative body, a statute.
- The process of doing something.
He was caught in the act.
- (countable) A formal or official record of something done.
- (countable) A division of a theatrical performance.
The pivotal moment in the play was in the first scene of the second act.
- (countable) A display of behavior.
terms derived from act (noun)
- act of attainder
- act of faith
- act of god/act of God
- act of parliament
- act of settlement
- act of terrorism
- act of war
- caught in the act
- The Acts of the Apostles
terms related to act (noun)
to act (third-person singular simple present acts, present participle acting, simple past and past participle acted)
- (intransitive) To do something.
If you don't act soon, you will be in trouble.
- (intransitive) To perform a theatrical role.
I started acting at the age of eleven in my local theatre.
- (intransitive) To behave in a certain way.
He's acting strangely - I think there's something wrong with him.
- (copulative) To convey an appearance of being.
He acted unconcerned so the others wouldn't worry.
- (chemistry, intransitive) To have an effect on.
High-pressure oxygen acts on the central nervous system and may cause convulsions or death.
- (transitive) To play (a role).
He's been acting Shakespearean leads since he was twelve.
- (transitive) To feign.
He acted the angry parent, but was secretly amused.
terms derived from act (verb)
- act a fool
- act like a bull in a china shop
- act on
- act out
- act smart
- act up
- act upon
terms related to act (verb)
- Alphagram: act
- cat, Cat, CAT
- tac, TAC
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Translation of act in Malay
process of doing
division of theatrical performance
display of behaviour
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK