Definition of canon law
canon law (plural canon laws)
- The law of the church, religious law.
Canon law determines who is declared a saint.
- A regulation in church law.
The canon law on this matter conflicts with several other canon laws.
Canon law is the body of laws and regulations made by or adopted by ecclesiastical authority, for the government of the Christian organization and its members. It is the internal ecclesiastical law governing the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox churches, and the Anglican Communion of churches. The way that such church law is legislated, interpreted and at times adjudicated varies widely among these three bodies of churches. In all three traditions, a canon was initially a rule adopted by a council (From Greek kanon / κανών, Hebrew kaneh / קנה, for rule, standard, or measure); these canons formed the foundation of canon law.
- "Canon law". Catholic Encyclopedia. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- "Catholic Encyclopedia: Apostolic Canons". New Advent. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- "The Ecclesiastical Canons of the Same Holy Apostles". Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol VII. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- Canon Law @Canonlaw.info
- Baker, J.H. (2002) An Introduction to English Legal History, 4th ed. London : Butterworths, ISBN 0-406-93053-8
- Brundgage, James A., The Medieval Origins of the Legal Profession: Canonists, Civilians, and Courts, Chicago : University of Chicago Press, c2008.
- Brundage, James A., Medieval Canon Law, London ; New York : Longman, 1995.
- The Episcopal Church (2006) Constitution and Canons, together with the Rules of Order for the Government of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America, otherwise known as The Episcopal Church, New York : Church Publishing, Inc.
- R. C. Mortimer, Western Canon Law, London: A. and C. Black, 1953.
- Robinson, O.F.,Fergus, T.D. and Gordon, W.M. (2000) European Legal History, 3rd ed., London : Butterworths, ISBN 0-406-91360-9
- Codex Iuris Canonici (1983), original text in Latin (the only official text)
- Code of Canon Law (1983) but with the 1998 modification of canons 750 and 1371, English translation by the Canon Law Society of America, on the Vatican website
- Code of Canon Law (1983), English translation by the Canon Law Society of Great Britain and Ireland, assisted by the Canon Law Society of Australia and New Zealand and the Canadian Canon Law Society
- Codex canonum ecclesiarum orientalium (1990), original text in Latin
- "Code of canons of Oriental Churchs" (1990), defective English translation
- Codex Iuris Canonici (1917), original text in Latin
- Catholic Encyclopedia: Canon Law: outdated, but useful
- Salvific Law
- 1983 Code of Canon Law - Notes, Commentary, Articles, Bibliography
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.