Definition of defence
- (RP) IPA: /dɛˈfɛns/
- (US) IPA: /ˈdifɛns/
- Audio (US) [?]
- Rhymes: -ɛns
defence (plural defences)
- The action of protecting from attack.
- Something used to oppose attack.
* 1592-1609, William Shakespeare, Sonnet XII:
And nothing 'gainst Time's scythe can make defence
Save breed, to brave him when he takes thee hence.
- An argument in support or justification of something.
* 1592-1609, William Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXIX:
Speak of my lameness, and I straight will halt,
Against thy reasons making no defence.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.