Definition of defunct
From Latin dēfunctus, past participle of dēfungī ("to finish, discharge").
defunct (comparative more defunct, superlative most defunct)
- (now rare) Deceased, dead.
- No longer in use, inactive.
- (computing) Specifically, of a program: that has terminated but is still shown in the list of processes because the parent process that created it is still running and has not yet reaped it. See also zombie, zombie process.
- (business) No longer in business or service.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK