Legal Definition of dismiss
- To send out of court
- Reject without further hearing
Definition of dismiss
to dismiss (third-person singular simple present dismisses, present participle dismissing, simple past and past participle dismissed)
- To discharge; to end the employment or service of.
The company dismissed me after less than a year.
- To order to leave.
The soldiers were dismissed after the parade.
- To dispel; to rid one's mind of.
He dismissed all thoughts of acting again.
- To reject; to refuse to accept
The court dismissed the case.
- (cricket) To get a batsman out.
He was dismissed for 99 runs.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK