Definition of heir
From Middle English heres, from Old French, from Latin heres
- enPR: Ôr, IPA: /eə(r)/, SAMPA: /e@(r)/
- Audio (US) [?]
- Rhymes: -ɛə(r)
- Homophones: air
heir (plural heirs)
- Someone who inherits, or is designated to inherit, the property of another.
- One who inherits, or has been designated to inherit, a hereditary title or office.
- A successor in a role, representing continuity with the predecessor.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK