Definition of investigation
- IPA: /ɪnˌvɛstəˈɡeɪʃən/, SAMPA: /In%vestI"geISn/
- Audio (US) [?]
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
investigation (plural investigations)
- The act of investigating; the process of inquiring into or following up; research; study; inquiry, especially patient or thorough inquiry or examination; as, the investigations of the philosopher and the mathematician; the investigations of the judge, the moralist.
Investigation may refer to:
In law enforcement:
- The work of a Private investigator
- The work of a Detective
- Federal Bureau of Investigation, the primary investigative arm of the US Department of Justice
- Criminal Investigation Department, the branch of British Police force to which plain clothes detectives belong
- Workplace Investigation, when a third-party, impartial investigator reviews allegations of misconduct in the workplace
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK