Definition of politician
politician (plural politicians)
- One engaged in politics, especially an elected or appointed government official.
Politicians should serve the country's interest.
- Specifically, one who regards elected political office as a career.
Unlike the other candidates, I'm not a politician.
* 1996, Tom Clancy, Executive Orders, ISBN 0399142185, page 438:
I never wanted to be one, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm not a politician now. Am I the best man for this job? Probably not. I am, however, the President of the United States, […]
- A politically active or interested person.
Only real politicians are interested in this issue.
* 1863, "The Fountain Kloof", in The Sunday at Home, page 211:
You used to be such a politician. Do you remember the debates we held in Fitzroy's rooms?
- A sly or ingratiating person.
There is a politician in every office.
* 1969, David E. Sanford, My Village, My World, page 90:
Mrs. Dimitriou blushed at the compliment. "Antonios, you are such a politician," her husband chuckled.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.