Definition of release
From Old French relaisser (variant of relacher).
release (plural releases)
- That which is released, untied or let go.
They marked the occasion with a release of butterflies.
release (third-person singular simple present releases, present participle releasing, simple past and past participle released)
- To lease again; to grant a new lease of; to let back.
- To let go (of); to cease to hold or contain.
He released his grasp on the lever.
- To make available to the public.
They released the new product later than intended.
- To free or liberate; to set free.
He was released after two years in prison.
- To discharge.
They released thousands of gallons of water into the river each month.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK