Definition of retainer
From retain, from French retenir (“to retain”).
- (UK) IPA: /ɹɪˈteɪn.ə/
- (US) IPA: /ɹɪˈteɪn.ɚ/, /ɹəˈteɪn.ɚ/
- Rhymes: -eɪnə(r)
retainer (plural retainers)
- A dependent or follower of someone of rank.
- A paid servant, especially one who has been employed for many years.
- Any thing or person that retains.
- A fee one pays to reserve the other's time for services.
This lawyer charges a retainer for his work.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.