Definition of seize
to seize (third-person singular simple present seizes, present participle seizing, simple past and past participle seized)
- (transitive) To deliberately take hold of; to grab or capture.
- (transitive) To take advantage of (an opportunity or circumstance).
- (intransitive) To have a seizure.
- (intransitive) To bind or lock in position immovably; see also seize up.
Rust caused the engine to seize, never to run again.
- be seized of, be seized with
- seize the day
- seize on, seize upon
- seize up
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK