Definition of terminate
Latin terminatus, past participle of terminare (“to set bounds to, bound, limit, end, close, terminate”) < terminus (“a bound, limit, end”).
terminate (third-person singular simple present terminates, present participle terminating, simple past and past participle terminated)
- (transitive or intransitive, formal) To finish or end.
- (transitive, euphemistic) To kill.
- (transitive, euphemistic) To end the employment contract of an employee; to fire or lay off.
- Terminated; limited; bounded; ended.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.