Definition of illegal
From il- (an assimilated version of in-) + legal. In senses relating to immigration, via clipping from illegal alien or illegal immigrant.
- enPR: ĭ.lēʹgl
- Rhymes: -iːɡəl
illegal (comparative more illegal, superlative most illegal)
- (law) Contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law.
- Not permitted by rules
Moving a pawn backward is an illegal move in chess.
- (philately, of an issue printed for collectors) Totally fictitious, and often issued on behalf of a non-existent territory or country.
- (of an immigrant) Being an illegal immigrant; residing in a country illegally.
- (forbidden by law): lawful, legal
illegal (plural illegals)
- (colloquial) An illegal immigrant.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK