Definition of assignment
assignment (plural assignments)
- the act of assigning, or an assigned task
- a position to which someone is assigned
- (law) a transfer of something from one person to another, especially property, or a claim or right; the document that effects this transfer
- (computing) an operation that assigns a value to a variable
An assignment (Latin cessio) is a term used with similar meanings in the law of contracts and in the law of real estate. In both instances, it encompasses the transfer of rights held by one party�the assignor�to another party�the assignee. The legal nature of the assignment determines some additional rights and liabilities that accompany the act.
- Wiktionary. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
TOP LEGAL TERMS THIS WEEK